Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Wilton Classes Update

Hey there, friends!
So, I finished the first round of my Wilton decorating classes. Very basic stuff. I had to decorate a cake for the final class. Here it is, in all it's glory...
This is a strawberry cake with a strawberry cream-cheese filling between the layers. And of course, buttercream icing. I am not a fan of buttercream, to be honest. To me, a cake needs to make me want to take a big ol' bite out of it, and I prefer loads of lovely frosting (note, that says FROSTING) swirled about. Globbed on. I don't want to fight with my frosting to make it perfectly smooth on the cake...in my opinion, that doesn't look like a real cake. It looks like cardboard. Doesn't make me want to bite it.

 Yeah, I have issues with smooth frosting. And, obviously, making all my flowers uniform. I think it adds character, don't you?

In the next round of classes, Flower and Cake Design, we learn...well...flower and cake design is my guess. And we start working with fondant. Yee-Haw.

By the way, Eric...apparently...feels like this cake is something that he can take a bite of...

2 comments:

Dana said...

Holy bright cheerful flowers batman! Very patriotic I'd say, and smooth frosting is hard, but it's better than fondant ANYDAY (in my book).

Mary Maruscak said...

I would have to agree. I am not a fan of fondant. Yuck. Although I am going to try this marshmallow fondant recipe I found. Rumor has it, it actually tastes good.

I was going for patriotic, actually.

And I am against smooth butter cream. I must go on a mission to eradicate it from my repertoire.