Thursday, July 15, 2010

Somebody just do the right damn thing already, please? (Time for a rant...)

Honestly, at this point in history, does your political affiliation really matter? IMHO, it doesn't.

This country is a mess. We are destroying the environment every day and getting away with it by calling it "economic development." I live in Broome County in the Souther Tier of NYS, and like most of the southern end of NYS and most of PA and W. Virgina...we are sitting directly on top of the Marcellus Shale. It's pretty much a fact that hydraulic fracturing is coming to NY very soon, and it's coming heavy.

Sadly, I'm beginning to think about what to do in a year when I graduate from BU because I can't imagine living in a place that would knowingly contaminate the watersheds and force people off the property that they have lived on for years...whatever. This blog could become very long if I get on that soapbox.

And now I read every day about the catastrophe in the Gulf of Mexico. And I think our hands are tied. We are the mercy of the oil and gas companies, and whatever corrupt shit is going on in the White House. Is it really a democracy if you can't trust the people in charge to do what's right? When you know, because of legislation that was passed a year or so ago...government and billion-dollar corporations are more in "cahoots" now that they ever were? Don't get me wrong, I think Obama's got some great ideas, but I think he's idealistic and I don't see a whole lot of action coming from him. In over your head much, Mr. President?

I try to remain optimistic. I love my life. Things are going really, really well. I don't know if I can remember a time when I was happier. And I know there are people out there every single day busting their butts and banging their heads against walls trying to make things better. But I'm scared.

I came across this video that a friend posted on Facebook and thought I would share. Watch it if you want. But I think this guy says it better than anyone I have heard, so far, when he says "just do the right damn thing..."

No comments: