Tuesday, September 7, 2010

There is going to be a problem...

...if I don't stop eating this bread.

I made this today because I thought making bread sounded better on Labor Day than doing homework. I cut one of the loaves in half because I wasn't sure it was completely baked through. (I used 2 small loaf pans as opposed to one big one, and had to adjust the baking time.) When I cut into the hot loaf and the steam escaped...E-GADS! The aroma just 'bout knocked me over. What's a girl to do? That's right. Taste it. And share the super-simple recipe, of course.

Herb and Onion Bread
1/2 cup soy milk (I used 1% - No soy in the house.)
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp margarine
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 lukewarm water
2 1/4 c. unbleached or whole wheat all-purpose flour
1/2 small onion minced
1/2 tspn dried dill
1 tsp crushed dried rosemary

Heat the milk until tiny bubbles form around the edge of the pan and stir in the sugar, salt and margarine. Cool to lukewarm. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water. add the cooled soymilk mixture, flour, minced onion, and herbs, ans stir well with a wooden spoon. When the dough is smooth, cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm place until triple in bulk, about 45 mins. 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Stir the dough down and beat vigorously for a few mins, then turn into a greased bread pan. Let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes and bake for an hour. 

As always, my posts come with a disclaimer. Adventurous girl that I am...hehehe. As I said, I used the 1% milk. I also used my AWESOME Kitchenaid Mixer with the dough hook attachment to mix it, not a wooden spoon. It just needed a little help at the end to mix in the flour, which I did by hand. (Keep a close eye on it if you do this. If it gets overmixed by the mixer, you'll need to add a tablespoon or so of flour to get it out of the bowl. Don't ask me how I know that.)
Also, I didn't have either dill or rosemary in the cupboard. I know. I suck. BUT what I did have was this incredible herb mixture that Dana made for me for a former b-day. I keep it locked up airtight and it's just as fresh as can be. I use it to season stuff. A tablespoon of it went into the bread. And it was a GREAT idea. I know. I rock.
This was supposed to go into the freezer for use at a later date. As it stands, only one loaf is making it to the freezer.

No comments: