Monday, September 13, 2010

Shrimp and grits. Part one.

I am a firm believer that our tastes change as we grow up and honestly, there are many many things that I will happily eat now that I didn't like when I was younger. Here's proof. Eric and I went on a little overnight slip-away recently, and for those that know me, they will be shocked by this revelation.

You ready?

I ate a pancake.
I did.
I won't say any more, because this would turn into a very long blog post. Just let it be known that I ate a pancake. Granted, it had chunks of fresh peaches in it. Granted, it was made from scratch in the gorgeous kitchen of a lovely B and B. Granted, it doesn't mean I'm going to order pancakes from any menu, anytime soon.
But whatever.
I ate the darn thing.
And I liked it.

When I was a kid, I detested grits. REALLY detested them. I don't know if its the texture, or the flavor (or lack of) or if I was just served some nasty grits at some point and never ever tried them again.I think it's time I tried 'em again, and I'm going to start with this recipe for shrimp and grits from Joy the Baker. Have you checked out her page, yet? I have mentioned her before. You should go look. She is fabulous.
And if grits still suck, I can eat shrimp and bacon. And cheese. How can I go wrong?

I bought polenta. Baby steps...

No comments: