Monday, January 10, 2011

Butternut Squash Pie

Hello!
Just a few days ago, I wound up with some extra butternut squash after roasting some up with potatoes for dinner. (Which, by the way, is one of our current favorite side dishes...) I wondered what I'd do with my remaining squash until I got a brainstorm! PIE! Whoda' thunk it? Well, plenty of people, it turns out. I went on a recipe search and found so many variations... since Martha doesn't usually do me wrong, I started with this Martha Stewart recipe. I didn't use her pie recipe, but I did use her ginger snap crust recipe, since I'm not a fan of making - or eating, for that matter - regular pie crust, and I had a box of ginger snaps on hand. I wound up using THIS recipe, since the required ingredients coincided with those in the cupboard at my time of pie-making motivation.
 The finished product...er...masterpiece.
I whipped up a little nutty praline topping for our slices with pecans, brown sugar, and butter. I could eat that stuff all by itself, to be completely honest.
Oh lordy...this is just getting better and better...
The verdict...DE-LISH! 
This is somewhere between a pumpkin pie and a sweet potato pie...but didn't really taste like either. It tasted like....well, pureed squash with lots of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and brown sugar. And that's a flippin' delicious combination. I highly recommend you try making one NOW, or you know...invite me over for a pot luck and I'll bring you one.


2 comments:

Dana said...

Well I despise squash, but that topping looks delish!

Chris Stern / CS Designs said...

Mary, I am not a big eater, but my one weakness is desert and this does look yummy, especially with your topping. Thanks for the recipe links. :) Chris / CS Designs
http://www.cs-designs.blogspot.com/
http://www.doodlepieces.blogspot.com/