Friday, November 27, 2009

Procrastination...or is INSPIRATION???

Hi there, everyone!!
Here it is, (almost) the end of my first semester of grad school, and I am SWAMPED!! So what better time for a blog post?? :)
Actually, I visited Verve Visuals' Blog Hop for their new stamp set releases, all centered around thankfulness. Go check them out at the Verve store...they're on sale all weekend, and they are lovely!
I have been so inspired by all the gorgeous creations by the Verve Divas that I wanted to share a couple of my own pics.

I recently spent some time at a scrapbooking weekend thrown at the house of my friend Becky, (which is a GREAT excuse for the girls to get together and gab and scrap and listen to music and share pics of their families...if none of your friends have thrown one of these, I suggest you jump on the bandwagon! Invite your girls over, make some snacks, set up tables, and you'll be AMAZED how much you will inspire each other!!)

So, while all the other ladies made scrapbooks of their children, guess who made Christmas cards?? That's right, yours truly! Here are a couple of examples of my handiwork of a couple of weeks ago...


Because this was not in the recent past (like, you know, within the past hour) I don't know if I can give credit for all the elements, but I will try...the CS is from PTI's Perfect Match collection, and I'm going to take a stab and say it's Ripe Ovacado. (I think. I'm sorry if that's wrong.) The stripey BG is is some that I picked up that very morning at Jo-Ann. (They were having a great sale!) The tree images are from a stamp that I am ashamed to say I opened and no longer have the top of the package, so I can't tell you what they are, but I got 'em at Micheal's!! Now, here's my favorite part: I LOVE STICKLES. I have just begun to use them, and I AM IN LOVE! Those trees are just dab-dab-dabbed all over with green, and the a little gold on the top for the stars. I colored in the trunks with a colored pencil. The trees are stamped on white paper, which I sponged all over and smudged with my Inkssentials blending tool in Versamagic Red Magic chalk ink. 

I love this card, and I SO wish my cell phone took better pics...(nope, still haven't replaced the camera...) because this BG, while it looks an orangey-red in some spots, it's actually a gorgeous mauve that I also picked up at Jo-Ann that morning. (Grrr...one day I will post good pics again, I swear!!) Oh right, right...the details. The image is from the same set as the trees above, which I stamped with Versamagic Perfect Plumeria chalk ink, (also sponged around the edge of the paper, creating a "frame" effect with another piece of white...) embossed the ornament image (those scrapbookers were in awe over my EP skills, I must say...), and then colored in with my Marvy Brush Markers.I added a couple of bling-y brads, and a pretty, silky ribbon, VOILA!
I made a few more cards that I would like to post, because as a newbie, I'm still teaching myself techniques and experimenting, and I actually created some pretty cards that I really like. So keep your ojos peeled for more to come! And feel free to tell me what you think!! I like comments!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary! You amaze me :) To begin your creations are really NEAT... I love the ones where you drop in little pieces of your personality. Beautiful :) -Kim Devine-Brink

Eric Maruscak said...

I think you are super crafty and super talented. Your attention to detail is fantastic and I love your sense of color. Some of these cards have a cool retro feel, and all of them are stylish and super sweet! Great job.

Dana said...

OMG. I had no idea you had posted these amazing cards! Sifting through past emails I ran accross this post and about screamed in glee. You know I love it when you post to the blog.
Love the big white ribbon on the second card...it really caught my eye and tied in nicely with the sponged border white area. So pretty.
I love the simple LO of the tree card too, and who doesn't love stickles?
Show us more!

Mary Maruscak said...

Thanks everyone-nice comments like yours are what inspires me (and I'm sure others as well) to want to post more. More to come, soon!

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.