Friday, January 18, 2008

Home sweet home

So, I recently relocated to one of my favorite tiny-little-cities on earth, ITHACA, NY! I have always loved it here, always felt like it was a home-away-from-home, and now guess what? It is home! YAY! Ithaca has beautiful things to offer, and for photography buffs, I highly recommend this be on your list of places to visit!So last weekend, I picked up my nephew, who spends weekends with his dad in nearby Trumansburg, and we took him, along with my friend Susie's 2 kids to Taughannock Falls State Park. The pic below was our mission..the overlook from the top of the park, which you can just drive right up to.

See how tiny that 215-foot drop looks from that distance?

Here's my nephew Joshua with his ever-present "mohawk" smiling on the overlook. I love this shot-it might just wind up in a frame for his grandma! So, while checking out the falls, Joshua and his friend Riley decide they want to GO SEE the falls. It's almost a mile walk, so we hem and haw for about 5 seconds before Susie and look at each other and shrug. Whatever...what else did we have to do on a gorgeous (oddly 45-degree) January day? So we drive down to the entrance of one of the walking trails and begin our treck. It really is a gorgeous walk-I wish I had taken more pics...next time, for sure!

Joshua and Riley stop to check out a rapids about halfway to the falls.
Almost there!! Gorgeous! (Gorges? Heh...sorry, couldn't resist...) Fun fact: This is actually 25 feet taller than Niagara Falls (American side)!

And we're there! It's looking taller, now, huh?? This is actually quite close to the base of the waterfall...the kids were getting sprayed with freezing cold mist during this pic (and so was my cam!) so I had to take it quickly!
It was a wonderful way to spend a morning...out to breakfast, some nature, some time with some of my favorite kids...does life really get any better?

AND A CARD! (Well, aren't you the lucky reader today?) I found another pic of a card I made a few months ago. This one was for my friend Angie, who provided some TREMENDOUS support to me recently, as well as a place to sleep for many, many nights!

Again, I can't remember all the details, but I'll try my best! The BG is DCWV's Nana's Kids. I used scraps for the lt. blue and soft purple pieces, and the flower is CS with the pink paper and a sweet bead sewn on. The "Thank You" is from my Stash, and is secured with white ribbon. The sentiment stamp is Stampendous, stamped with...some lovely blue ink that I can't remember! For an added embellishment, I used a paper square and wrapped it with some funky, colorful yarn that I have...Angie loved this card!!
I have found that MY personal faves are the cards that I make with another person in mind. So, for the most part, when you see posts from me, it will cards that I have created for someone. I like it better that way.







1 comment:

Risa said...

Thank you for sharing these pictures Mary...very cool looking!!! You have a beautiful family and your card is cute!
malieta:)